Wednesday, February 02, 2005

University is a sham

Okay I'm back after a short, 1 day delay. Okay today I had to go to some ranodm academic counselling deal about one of my courses. When I get there, the guy, while nice and obviously being helpful, didn't know WHICH course I was struggling in. Not his fault though, apparently they never do. They gauge by what you, the person, thinks. Well what a load! Let's say I thought I was doing well in a course but wasn't and didn't know. How the HELL would this counselling session go anywhere? If neither he nor I knew, it'd be a waste of both our times. What's worse, I got up early for this. I ended up spending 12 freakin' hours on campus.

Now luckily enough I knew what was the "bad" course. I'm still passing it, I just don't care enough to get a better mark. Of course, me saying that to the guy would make me look like a big jerk, and since it was early in the morning I really didn't feel like getting in a debate with him. Aside from the fact that the University grading system is flawed already (not knowing your marks until final is a load), going to a counselling session to get tips I won't use was seriously just me trying to save face. Now I have a bunch of junk in my backpack about how I should "utilize" my "study time", or go to freakin' workshops on how to do multiple choice exams. What kind of jackass doesn't know how to do a multiple choice exam? If you know it, you're set. If you don't, guess. It's not like you're going to magically learn the answer by staring at four possible ones. And screw that whole "eliminate two" garbage. Chances are if you don't know the answer you're too stupid to eliminate two of the wrong ones anyway, and would eliminate the right one. Thus giving you a 0 in 2 chance that you'd get the question right. That's why I follow the ACDC system: Repeatedly spell that out if you don't know the answer. It may look like a pattern, but say I had 10 questions and I didn't know 4 of them. Any that I did know I would fill in, and unless you don't know 8 in a row you'll definitely avoid some sort of pattern-looking exam sheet. And one more thing: True and False.. that's a pile of trash too. If you don't know ANY of them, ALWAYS choose all of one kind. That was you're basically guaranteed a pass. And since most professors would probably put more "T" than "F" since they know the material and it's easier to regurgitate right answers than using idenpendent thought to make up a wrong one, I'd suggest using all "T"s. You'll thank me when you pass because of it.

Of course, none of this is a factor if you know the material. But let's face it, the secret and goal to University (at least mine) is to get a degree without actually really learning anything new.

But of course, the University would like you to think you're getting somewhere. Here's a newsflash: Half the degrees require you to go to college afterwards to get the technical training. What a waste of time! I don't know about you, but I don't want to still be in school when I'm 24. Luckily I'll be graduating when I'm 22, hopefully just as stupid as when I left Highschool. That'll be the dream.

My anger for politics is growing, so expect a lengthy rant on that soon. This one is more of a filler rant until I get assigned something pointless.

-Mark

4 comments:

Mark said...

Hi Leah! Fancy seeing you here when I saw you write that message!

Haurez said...

You shoulda signed up for MTP! College and Univ all in one! Woot! Do you see yourself living at a university until retirement, passing down the virtues of not learning anything to first years?

Mark said...

While passing down the virtues to first years will always be the dream, there's no way in hell I'm staying in University until retirement. And I'd join MTP, but my heart is in Film, and Film I shall go. It ends up in college anyway.

Mark said...

A swift beating should rectify that problem... what do you say we bring the "bat of reason" to 025?