Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The mundane is not interesting

I've noticed this for the last year and a bit, and at last it's built up enough swagger for me to rant about it.

I'll admit, when I'm bored frequently, I go on message boards. For the most part it's about baseball, but whatever. There's a few I just go back to for nostagala's sake. But what I've noticed on those, and on blogs, is people's seemingly never-ending conquest to let absolutely anyone that reads or sees them EVERYTHING they're doing. Like, it's some kind of cult to be a wikipedia.com user. Who gives a fuck? Or the endless signatures on message boards that show people the "last songs listened to by user jackass".

It does not give you more status to plug every pointless thing you do on the internet. "Oh, I use firefox." "Oh, I use Wikipedia." "Oh, I listen to music." Seriously, why should I give a shit? This is just indicitive of a larger problem - people that have no life turn to the internet to feel elitists because they can't do shit in reality. Wow, you're cool cause you can reject people you've never met. Oh, you're cool because you use wikipedia - something EVERY GODDAMN PERSON that wants to know something uses.

You don't see every asshat on the street saying "Hey! I obey traffic signals! I'm better than you!", so why does this give us an open ticket on the internet? I can start idiotic random cults of people that use information sources or ENJOY MUSIC. What could you possibly have in common with someone else that uses wikipedia? "Oh my god, we both use the same internet resource site! You're so fuckin' awesome now!"

Jackass. And don't give me that "free speech" bullshit. Free speech applies to people speaking their mind without persecution, NOT telling everyone every piece of useless shit you did in the day. Free speech allows me to say things like "All religion is wrong" or "I disagree with the politics of Uzbekistan" and I won't get killed for it. NOT "I had a piece of toast when I woke up today, and I also use wikipedia when I need to look up something." Note the difference.

-Mark

1 comment:

Mark said...

You could angry rant, and you'd still look tame compared to me.

It just gets to me because I do frequent message boards (mostly for a purpose, like baseball, or writing. Moving on..) and I have to read this pointless crap all the time.

But I guess that's the hopelessness of the generation behind us...