Saturday, October 29, 2005

Music is more important than you

"I realized something today - I like music. Music is great. If your thoughts go from 'what should I eat, to... I've failed everyone that's ever loved me', music is a great distration!" - Jon Stewart

Okay, I had to throw in a quote from Stewart, but that quote is more true than he thinks. Music is almost like a friend that will never let you down, as (in my opinion) it's the quickest access to push people's emotions. All it takes is a song that speaks to your mood at the time, and it instantly is like you're talking to a friend that understands how you feel. Music can help you "rock out", it can enhance happy moments...

But more importantly, it doesn't let you down, or leave you when you really need it - it's always right there, which is a quality that people don't have. I'm not saying people will always let you down, but there's just some times when nobody can be there when you need them, and that's when music helps.

For me, music acts as a calming agent - most specifically, Bloc Party's songs. When I get all wound up (or pissed off, sad, annoyed, etc), I throw on some Bloc, and I forget whatever's around me. It helps me space out for a few minutes, and clear my thoughts. I've never known any non-illegal or booze-related substance that helps alter your mind so freely. And we let it happen. This is a short rant, I know, but I really think music is the most persuasive medium (Film and TV come close, but music has an edge). After all, it's not like we get "shows" or "movies" stuck in our heads as much as songs or lyrics. And because the artists are real and not actors, music takes on a far more intimate identification with the listener - because it's like that artist understands. In TV and Film, the director, although they may identify with how you feel, you only view actors - and never put a concrete face to the opinions.

-Mark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"This music is the glue of the world, Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless."