Monday, May 30, 2005

You'd think so, wouldn't you.

Okay, after a week-long delay + 3 days for my drinking binge (I turned 20 on May 28), I have returned! Missed me? Of course not.

So I've got this Audio Visual job for the Canadian Congress of Humanities and Social Sciences. The Congress is some 10 day thing they're holding on my University campus where people present REALLY boring shit (I had to sit in one of the conferences to make sure the machine was working fine and the presenter was talking about FONTS for an hour... FONTS??? COME ON!!! Who gives a shit where Times New Roman came from?) Anyway, there's 24 man staff of A/V techies (myself being one of them) and we're posted in some of the buildings and have to hook stuff up for the delegates if they booked things like computers, video projectors, etc etc. It's really the easiest job I've ever had.. I worked from 7-3 today and After 10:15 I literally did nothing. In fact, I fell asleep for awhile).

Anyways, while I can't complain about that, what I WILL complain about is the bus passes. All of the delegates get a complimentary bus pass for the all routes for the 10 days, but the friggin' employees don't. Come ON, we WORK for you, you can't spring to give us the damn passes? I have to get up at 5:30 AM for this job, and at that point I'm far too incoherent to find 2.50 for the bus, or 5 bucks if I don't feel like walking home (which I don't, ever.. too far). Hell, it's a miracle I remember to wear pants before walking out the door. So why not give us a damn bus pass? It's not like the University doesn't have mad stacks of cash already, since they are a campus of 40K students and they only need about 2K to break even each year... but they can give these damn delegates a bus pass? Horseshit! I have to get to work, and apart from eating all your food while I'm there, I don't wanna spend money (I actually just take the food, since it's on tables everywhere).

Luckily for me, I know a guy who knows a guy (who thought I'd ever use that phrase?) and he was handing out the bus passes, so I got one. Take THAT, whoever decided against giving staff bus passes!

-Mark.

No comments: