Friday, February 10, 2006

MTV Hackery

Wow. Today on my break I had the unfortunate experience of having to watch about 10-15 minutes of MTV2's Teen Choice awards or some shit like that. And dear god, that's a bunch of minutes I'd like to spend killing myself. What the hell is wrong with that crap? Apparently we're saluting the shit-tastic bands of today's generation. . . during this brigade of eye disdainment, I had to watch the "MTV2 Teen Choice Music Video Award". . . JEEBUS, that was terrible. They showed six videos - three hip hop, which looked IDENTICAL (imagine your typical hip hop video formula - and bam.), and then three "rock" bands, only one of which can actually rock. The Bravery, My Chemical Romance, and Fall Out Boy. The music videos in general sucked, and out of the three, only the Bravery has any real talent, and they're nothing particularly special - but they're at least catchy. Anyway, moving on.

Fall Out Boy won, which was predictable as hell and also the worst possible choice, given the options. Apparently the young generation of mainstream music listeners vote for people based on how bad of a haircut they can get, and how "tortured" of a life they (never) had can be expressed through their bad makeup and hair dye jobs. And this is GUYS we're talking about.

But I can't believe how people are buying into this crap about wanting to have a shit-tastic life because that's "cool". Or the whole "I'm a pimp" mentality. Seriously, what REALLY pisses me off about this fad is that people are trying to act like they don't care if they're cool, because it makes their other little idiots think they are. "Ohh he dresses liek he doesn't care, that's cool!" No it's not, asshead! You're just the same as any other mindless hack out there that is obsessed with being cool. You know why I dress like I don't give a shit? Because I don't actually give a shit. I dress the way I do cause I like it, not because I think some other asshat will.

But back to music. It's time you people got schooled on real music bands, the kind of bands that don't just have their 5 year old brother take a pair of scissors to it. .. the kind that actually toil for a while before getting recognition, because they've proved they'll stick around for the haul.

The Decemberists
Okkervil River
Bloc Party (yeah they're new, but they're also not a bunch of hacks)
Elbow
Spoon
Editors
We Are Scientists (also new, but hilarious and not douches)
Arcade Fire
Akron Family (specifically, Raise the Sparks)
Youth Group

They're all indy rock, but fuck you if you like hip hop anyway - you have no musical tastes.

-Mark

3 comments:

Haurez said...

I like the rant, but as always, the easiest way to ignore MTV is press the power button the TV and then you wouldn't have to put up with what you have discusesed even though its very true.

Mark said...

I would have, but I didn't have the remote, and as you know at work, there's no where else to go.

Haurez said...

Change the channel