Wednesday, March 16, 2005

0 + "Fat" + Any Product = Instant Healthy Food

Okay, I'm back, and I've got a new trick, Magical Mark is slick, ten times as slick as the last time you read him.

Anywho, the genius of weebls-stuff.com aside, I'm here to yell the crap out of something new: Labels on food.

Now while you may think I'm just talking out my ass (which I frequently do), this time I actually have knowledge of the subject at hand. While stuffing my face with Tostitos nachos, I noticed on the label it said "0 trans-fat", boasting it as if it was some sort of newfangled formula of health awareness they were trying to whore to self-health-conscious consumers.

Here's a newsflash: I don't eat Tostitos because I'm trying to be healthy, I eat them cause they taste good, and damn the side-effects. If someone was serious about eating healthy, they wouldn't even walk down the chip isle, since there's nothing healthy there... ever. And the fact that I buy Tostitos all the time and this is the first time I've ever noticed the label really points out the fact that I'm not actively looking for 0 trans-fat foods.

Moving away from that, I'd just like to point out that Nachos WOULDN'T have Trans-fat, since trans-fat only comes from ANIMALS (Humans included). Vegetables cannot have trans-fat, so obviously there wouldn't be any in Nachos. It's just some plug-ass marketing tool heartless corporations are taking advantage of during this "health craze" (although it's a sham, but that's another rant), where if people see the word "fat" and "0" beside it, they'll instantly assume it's good. How many people even KNEW what trans-fat was before I said it was only in animals? That's what I thought.

It just pisses me off when corporations throw any old label that makes them appear health conscious when in reality they're just twisting the words around. It's like saying that a carrot is good for you because it doesn't have mad-cow disease. Well no shit!

-Mark

1 comment:

Haurez said...

Dude, every corp twists words around to tell their product. Its called marketing. Tostitos is feeding off the fact that everyone is scared of trans fat so stick a trans-fat free lable on a bag and people come flocking. But yes, totally agreed, a health concious person wouldn't dare walk down the chip aisle. It's called "how much crap can I still eat while on a healthy diet?" Someone told me once (cant remember if it was you, probably not) that while in line at A&P, a really big guy had a bunch of junk food, with some slimfast. If you ask me, he's going nowhere.